Since launching in 2011, Nest Learning Thermostats have created quite a stir in the tech world and in January the company was acquired by Google. I’ve had a Nest for just over a year and I love it. If you aren’t familiar with Nest or considering a thermostat upgrade, here are five things you should know.
- It’s smart. It learns and remembers your living patterns to create a custom schedule for your home and will turn itself down when you’re away.
- Easy to install. If you can change a light fixture, you can install Nest. I installed mine in about 30 minutes. And, because it learns your patterns, you don’t have to worry about programming it yourself.
- It can save you money. Once Nest learns what you like, it will create the right balance of comfort and energy savings. For example, it will sense when no one is at home and automatically adjust the temperature. If you’re in Alberta, Direct Energy is offering Nest at no charge as part of an energy plan.
- You can control it from anywhere. Nest has a remote control feature which is accessible from computers and iOS and Android smartphones and tablets.
- It has a simple, beautiful design. Nest has a curved design with a silver finish to beautifully blend in with your existing décor. It also comes with a wallplate so you don’t have to worry about patching or painting the area where your old thermostat was.