Fresh air – let your house breathe

It’s very important to let your house “breathe”.  A house that is sealed up too tight can cause problems.  I came across this great post that I thought I would share with you.

iStock_000001999339Small

In attempting to conserve energy and reduce our heating costs, we can sometimes make our homes too air tight. In fact, for a house to be healthy, it needs to “breathe”. It needs to expel moisture and other gases from inside and take in a constant supply of fresh air from outside.

When a fuel-burning appliance in your home does not get enough fresh air and fails to completely burn its fuel, carbon monoxide is produced.

If ventilation is damaged or blocked, or if you have a powerful kitchen fan, bathroom fan or open hearth fireplace, then carbon monoxide can be drawn back inside the house.

Exhaust fans can compound the problem.

Be mindful that the air you exhaust from your home has to be replaced. Powerful exhaust fans in bathrooms and kitchens or open hearth wood-burning fireplaces can actually create a negative pressure inside your home, resulting in a backdraft which will draw exhaust fumes from your furnace, hot water heater or other appliances back into the house.

iStock_000026405485Small

How can you tell if your home is too air tight?

  • The air inside your home is usually stuffy and stale.
  • Excessive condensation is dripping down your windows (which could also mean your humidifier is set too high, so check that first).
  • The pilot light on your gas appliance keeps going out.
  • A gas flame burns yellow instead of blue (except in the case of a natural gas fireplace).
  • The smell of exhaust gases is present in your home. Although you cannot smell carbon monoxide, other exhaust gases do have an odour.
  • If you see any of these signs, contact a certified heating contractor or a building ventilation expert to check your home and correct the problem.

Consider these solutions:

Air exchanger

If your home is tightly sealed to make it energy efficient, consider investing in an air exchange system. Professionally installed, it exchanges the air inside your home for fresh outside air every 24 hours, without wasting heat.

iStock_000012699564Small

Direct feed

When renovating or building, consider installing heating systems and appliances that have a direct feed of outside air for combustion, so they do not draw air from inside the home. The combustion chambers are sealed so they are safer and more energy efficient.60H_HRV_Side

Hope you enjoyed this post, thanks to the TSSA for this great information.

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 Responses to “Fresh air – let your house breathe”

  1. Susan Swainson says:

    Thank you. Very informative. I appreciated receiving this.

    Susan Swainson

  2. Doria Smith says:

    Being fairly new to Canada we did not know this. Much appreciated, thank you.

Leave a Reply

® Direct Energy, Simple.Friendly.Direct and the Lightning Bolt design are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Direct Energy Marketing Limited in the United States and/or Canada. Use of such trademarks has been licensed by Direct Energy Marketing Limited to its various subsidiaries and affiliates.
© 2010 Direct Energy Marketing Limited, a subsidiary of Centrica plc. Centrica was created following the demerger of British Gas plc in 1997 and is now a leading supplier of energy and related services. To read more about Centrica plc please visit www.centrica.com. Direct Energy Marketing Limited, under the name Direct Energy, is licensed to market natural gas in Ontario under Ontario Energy Board gas marketing license #GM-2009-0058 and to market electricity in Ontario under the Ontario Energy Board electricity retailing license #ER-2005-0226. Direct Energy is not affiliated with any regulated gas or electricity distributor.
™Enercare and the design are trademarks of Enercare Inc., used under license.