Carbon Monoxide – Some sobering facts

Did you know

For everyone who has been following my blog for the last few years, you’ll know I’ve mentioned how dangerous carbon monoxide is.

But did you know…

  • that Carbon Monoxide poisoning is the leading cause of accidental poisoning in Ontario every year.
  • thousands of people each year require medical treatment because of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
  • 80% of all Carbon Monoxide deaths and injuries occur in homes.
  • more than 50 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning in Canada, including 11 on average in Ontario.

Thanks to the TSSA and the Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs for this list.

Also, if you didn’t already know it’s now the law to have carbon monoxide detectors in your home if you have any fuel fired appliances, fireplaces or an attached garage.  See here for a full FAQ on the new law.

Stay safe this winter.


You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

One Response to “Carbon Monoxide – Some sobering facts”

  1. Excellent post. I am experiencing some of these issues as well..

Leave a Reply

® Direct Energy, Simple.Friendly.Direct and the Lightning Bolt design are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Direct Energy Marketing Limited in the United States and/or Canada. Use of such trademarks has been licensed by Direct Energy Marketing Limited to its various subsidiaries and affiliates.
© 2010 Direct Energy Marketing Limited, a subsidiary of Centrica plc. Centrica was created following the demerger of British Gas plc in 1997 and is now a leading supplier of energy and related services. To read more about Centrica plc please visit Direct Energy Marketing Limited, under the name Direct Energy, is licensed to market natural gas in Ontario under Ontario Energy Board gas marketing license #GM-2009-0058 and to market electricity in Ontario under the Ontario Energy Board electricity retailing license #ER-2005-0226. Direct Energy is not affiliated with any regulated gas or electricity distributor.
™Enercare and the design are trademarks of Enercare Inc., used under license.